Updates, Live

Sunday, October 26, 2008

Two Paintings by Reginald Marsh

Locomotives, Jersey City, 1934
oil on canvas

Reginald Marsh was an American artist born in Paris, in an apartment above Café du Dome. He is most notable for his depictions of New York City of the Twenties (Wikipedia).

There are two paintings of him at the American Art Museum (or maybe more: I saw only these two). I noticed firstly the Locomotives from Jersey City and I liked it for its energy, for its quiet strength. It communicates something very solid to you.

Then I noticed the other one, George Tilyou's Steeplechase: a painting filled with erotic tension. The article devoted to Reginald Marsh in Wikipedia says a lot about his artistic interest in women.

I found on the web am article about George Tilyou and his steeplechase on Coney Island.


George Tilyou's Steeplechase, 1932
oil and egg tempera on linen

(American Art and Portraiture)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home